Thursday, September 18, 2014

Stop #19 Smith Rock State Park

After living at Smith for the past month I am still not sure how to put it in words. When I first got here I was underwhelmed by the rock and the vibes of the park but after a few short days I fell in love. The campsite here is a mecca for interesting and weird people of all backgrounds and with all kinds of skills, the rocks are a 5-10 minute walk down the hill and across the river from my tent and the weather is nearly perfect(at least in the shade). Despite the crumminess of some of the Tuff I have grown to enjoy the rock and have found myself feeling thankful for the once scary nubbins. Smith is home to my first Trad lead, my first attempt at a 12c on lead, and hopefully soon my first 12a red point. I apologize for the climbing lingo but simply said these are some of the most awesome milestones of my climbing career thus far. I have played and laughed at Smith more than I have in years and as I prepare to leave I know that I will be back for more excellent crimboing.

Playing on the Silks off a high line at Steelhead Falls

The Sunset at Smith

Nixi and I on top of the Springboard doing some yoga


Jumping off the Monkey swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment